Perfect care for happy and healthy ears
You will enjoy your new ear piercings the most, if you treat them well and take good care of them after piercing. Statistics show that by far the greatest percentage of post-piercing complications and infections are caused through negligent after care procedures. This care advice will help you to promote a trouble-free healing process and to avoid complications.
- Wash hands thoroughly before touching your studs or ears.
- Cleanse the front and back of each ear with Studex After Piercing Lotion or Studex Piercing Care Gel at least twice a day, starting 24 hours after the ear was pierced, without removing the studs. Move each stud back and forth in the hole while applying the aftercare product.
- In between cleansing, try to keep your ears dry.
What to avoid?
- Do not remove the studs or handle your ears and/or studs unnecessarily.
- Do not push the earring back along the post towards the ear. It is important that the back is always positioned in the notch of the earring post. Therefore make sure to check its correct position with every aftercare procedure in order to allow for adequate air circulation, thus accelerating the healing process. An earring that sits too tightly can cause an infection.
What can you do to promote the healing process?
- Leave the studs in your earlobes for at least 6 weeks continuously (12 weeks for cartilage piercings).
- After 6 weeks (earlobes) or 12 weeks (cartilage), you can remove the studs and wear other post-type earrings continuously.
- Use only post-type earrings continuously for 5 months (earlobe) after piercing (12 months for cartilage), no hook earrings. The earring post should be made of surgical stainless steel or other hypoallergenic material. All earrings of the Studex Sensitive line and the Studex Select line are optimally suited. You will also find other high-quality earrings, such as karat gold earrings, at your trusted jewelry store. For the cartilage area we recommend barbells.
- Keep hairspray, shampoo, soap and other preparations away from your ear piercings. After shampooing, the ear should be rinsed with clear water and then prepared with a Studex Ear Care product as described above.
- Minor swelling and/or redness may occur immediately—this is normal. This should settle within 48 hours provided that you follow these care instructions. If undue pain, swelling or redness occurs at any time, seek medical advice immediately.
Special considerations for the cartilage area
Due to the nature of the ear cartilage, extra care should be taken during the healing period. Piercings in the cartilage area take longer to heal than earlobe piercings (up to 3 months).
- For cartilage, too, minor swelling and/or redness may occur immediately—this is normal. This should settle within 48 hours provided that you follow these care instructions. If undue pain, swelling or redness occurs at any time, seek medical advice immediately.
- Important: Do not treat complications associated with ear cartilage piercings lightly! Failure to properly follow after care procedures or to seek medical advice, should a problem occur, may result in permanent scarring of the ear cartilage. Don’t hesitate in such circumstances—you will be glad and relieved having sought the care of a physician in a timely manner.